Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Healing Words

As many of you know Ethan Powell passed away this past weekend. I keep asking myself why. Why would God do this to that little baby boy. I've been thinking about it and praying about it and feeling really angry about it. I can't even imagine if it were my own child in that situation. Then today I get this email from my college roommate. I read it and cried. I hope this helps those going through something similar. Here is what it said.

The Heart

'Tomorrow morning,' the surgeon began,'I'll open up your heart...

''You'll find Jesus there,' the boy interrupted.

The surgeon looked up, annoyed 'I'll cut your heart open,' he continued, to see how much damage has been done...

''but when you open up my heart, you'll find Jesus in there,' said the boy.

The surgeon looked to the parents, who sat quietly. '

When I see how much damage has been done, I'll sew your heart and chest back up, and I'll plan what to do next.

''But you'll find Jesus in my heart. The Bible says He lives there. The hymns all say He lives there. You'll find Him in my heart.

'The surgeon had had enough. 'I'll tell you what I'll find in your heart. I'll find damaged muscle, low blood supply, and weakened vessels. And I'll find out if I can make you well.

''You'll find Jesus there too. He lives there.

'The surgeon left. The surgeon sat in his office, recording his notes from the surgery,'...damaged aorta, damaged pulmonary vein, wide spread muscle degeneration. No hope for transplant, no hope for cure. Therapy:pain killers and bed rest. Prognosis: here he paused, 'death within one year.

'He stopped the recorder, but there was more to be said. 'Why?' he asked aloud. 'Why did You do this? You've put him here; You've put him in this pain; and You've cursed him to a nearly death. Why?'

The Lord answered and said, 'The boy,my lamb, was not meant for your flock for long, for he is a part of My flock, and will forever be. Here, in My flock, he will feel no pain, and will be comforted as you cannot imagine. His parents will one day join him here, and they will know peace, and My flock will continue to grow.
'The surgeon's tears were hot, but his anger was hotter. 'You created that boy, and You created that heart. He'll be dead in months. Why?

'The Lord answered, 'The boy, My lamb, shall return to My flock, for He has done his duty: I did not put My lamb with your flock to lose him, but to retrieve another lost lamb.

'The surgeon wept...

The surgeon sat beside the boy's bed; the boy's parents sat across from him.
The boy awoke and whispered, 'Did you cut open my heart?

''Yes,' said the surgeon.

'What did you find?' asked the boy.

'I found Jesus there,' said the surgeon.

Author Unknown - Celebrate Jesus in 2008

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a moving story.

Anonymous said...

I love that story Amanda!! I have also been thinking and praying for little Ethan and his family.

Suzanne said...

i cried too....jeez. i am heart broken for the powells...i cannot even imagine their heartbreak right now.

Amy S. said...

That's an awesome story, Amanda. I've struggled with Ethan's death over the last week too. It makes no sense why some children live and why some die when they are all being prayed for. I know God has a plan for everyone but it's still hard for me as a human to understand. It's comforting to know, though, that Ethan "will feel no pain and will be comforted as we cannot imagine." Thanks for sharing the story.